Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day: A Tribute To The Brave Men Of The 42nd Infantry Division

As I sat down to write this blog a flood of emotions overwhelmed me.  Pride, sadness, gratefulness were among some of the feelings which flickered through me.  I remembered my Nana saying this was a day to be solemn and honor those who saved the world from one of the evilest regimes the world ever saw.

My grandmother was particularly aware of the significance of Memorial for a very personal reason.  On April 29, 1945, the 42 Infantry Division of the United States Army liberated her from the Nazi death camp known as Dachau. In her name, in their honor, I write this blog.

My grandmother was born on January 14, 1926.  Her parents lived in a suburb of Berlin.   She had two brothers and one sister.  My grandmother was 15 when she entered the camp, on July 7, 1941.  Upon entering the camp she was separated from her parents and two younger brothers, all of which she never saw again.  She and her sister spent the next 4 years just trying to survive.  Unfortunately 6 months before liberation my grandmother lost her sister to typhus, which was rampant in the camp.

Rather than have this be about the Holocaust, I wanted to write a blog to show just how personal today is for me and my family.  On April 29, 1945 the brave men of the 42nd Infantry Division walked through the gates of Dachau and liberated the camp.  My grandmother always got a little emotional on this day because in her words,  "Wenn nicht für die Männer ich tot wäre. Ich war tot aber sie sparen nicht nur meinen Körper aber meine Seele. Sie haben uns hoffen gegeben. Hoffen Sie, der nicht alle Männer waren, wie des Nazis. (if not for those men I would be dead.  I was dead, but they saved not only my body but my soul.  They gave us hope.  Hope that not all men were like the Nazi's.)

She was grateful for America and her brave, honorable men who came to save Europa from the grips of the Nazis.  She remembered seeing some of the men cry as they witnessed all the horrors the camp had to offer.  She was shocked by how these rough and tumble men were so gentle, caring and compassionate with her and the other prisoners.  My grandmother left the camp in September of 1945.  She never forgot the "boys of the 42nd".  She would tell us grandchildren funny stories about some of the boys and how they made funny mistakes trying to speak German.  She remembered some names and even from where a few of them came from.

Nana is gone now.  We lost her in 1996.  Not a Memorial Day goes by that I do not stop and think about how I would not be here if not for the men of the 42nd Infantry.  I wonder how many of those "boys" really know what kind of impact they had on the world?

In 2002 I was given that chance to let one veteran know how he changed the world.  I was living in Washington D.C.  It was a Memorial Day.  I was at the World War II Memorial.  While there, I overheard an older gentleman talking with his wife.  I heard him say "we in the 42nd ..."  It immediately caught my attention and I worked up the courage to turn to him and ask the question.  I said to the man, "excuse me, I couldn't help over hearing you say you were in the 42nd Infantry Division?"  He replied he was and asked "why?"    I asked if he was part of the liberation of Dachau?  His eyes grew big and again he asked "why?"  I then went on to explain to him my grandmother had survived the camp and had immigrated to America in 1947 and that I was her grandson.  I think I shocked him or he thought I was crazy.  He told me he had been part of the liberation.  I think we both welled up.  I stuck out my hand to shake his.

I don't know if he had ever come face to face with anyone from that time.  We sat down and talked.  It was one of those moments in life that are imprinted on your soul.  I thanked him.  I think it embarrassed him.  His wife listened and I think he never really shared with her what he saw or did while in the service.  We parted and I always wonder if Tony is okay?  Alive?  I always hope he, that his family knows just how grateful my family and I am for him and the 42 Infantry.

I am sure there are many other stories similar to mine.  This is why Memorial Day is so important to me.  Its a day I have life because of the heroic and brave men and women who have fought to protect America and our freedom.  Its a day that I try to keep solemn, in honor of my Nana.

I will be going to the ceremony in the center of my little town today.  Its my duty, my honor and most certainly a privilege to let our veterans know just a little how much I appreciate what they did for me.  I will also spend the day with some saucy VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) boys and be placing American Flags on the graves of those brave men and women who are no longer here.  Its important their families know their loved ones are honored.

I hope in sharing my Memorial Day story it brings home the importance of this day.  Today is about so much more than a day off from work.  Burgers on the grill.  Its about life and those who fought so gallantly so we could enjoy ours.  Thank you to every service member of the past, present and future.  Thank you to all the families of all those who serve in our Armed Forces and make sacrifices every day too!    Please remember to stand when a veteran marches by in a parade.  Remember to take a moment and really let the full impact of what our servicemen and women give to us filter in.  Again, thank-you to all our servicemen and women.


No comments:

Post a Comment